Monday, November 22, 2010

so what happened?

My doctor suspected, and tests on the placenta later confirmed, that Madison died from a Group B Strep infection. I am by no means a medical professional, but I'll do my best to explain the way I understand it.. Group B Strep is a common bacteria that pregnant women are tested for late in pregnancy. From what I understand it's something that most women have at some point, and is usually harmless to the mother, but can cause complications in a baby. If a women tests positive for the bacteria, which I had, she is given antibiotics during labor, which I was given, and this is supposed to prevent the baby from getting it during delivery. My doctor figures that somehow the bacteria got into the bag of water earlier in labor, giving her the infection, and my body was sustaining her until she was born. This is extremely rare, my doctor has only ever seen one case like this. That woman went on to have 4 other healthy children. However, to be extra cautious, if I were to get pregnant again we would go to Spectrum at the first signs of labor and do a c-section, with a neonatal team standing by in case of complication.

2 comments:

Lindsay and Lindsey said...

Emily, thank you for sharing your story. I am continually praying for you and your family.

~Lindsay Ebels

Amy S said...

Thanks for having the courage to share this. I pray that God may be very real to you and wrap His loving arms around you each day. I pray you are comforted by the fact that Madison lives on and she is safe in the arms of Jesus!